Centro Habana has the faded majesty of a grand old dame. Though shabby and somewhat run down, it has an aristocratic air of someone who has seen better days. This quarter developed beyond what were the city walls (which ran parallel to present-day Avenida Belgica and Avenida de las Misiones) during the 1800 and was initially designed to provide houses and greenery for the citizens. Most construction took place after 1863, when the walls began to be demolished to make more land available. The work was finally completed in the 1920 and 30, when French architect Forestier landscape the area of the Paseo del Prado, the Parque Central, the Capitolio gardens and Parque de la Fraternidad.